The acid-base balance is a fundamental parameter of naturopathic health. This balance is controlled through diet, quality and quantity of drinks, breathing, perspiration and physical activity and psycho-emotional. Of course, all living things tend to acidify, but according to current data, it is quite clear that the Western diet is too acidic. In modern society the trend is growing tremendously, so much so that chronic acidosis, due to modern food, concerns nearly everyone.
Causes of acidification are mostly due to acidifying diets, alkaline minerals deficiencies, stress, lack or excess of physical activity, poor water consumed and inadequate breathing.
Also, too much acid-forming foods (meat, sugar, starch, coffee, alcohol) combined with a weak alkalizing foods (fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds) generates low-level chronic acidosis. To neutralize this excess acid, the body must use its own reserves of alkaline minerals. The bones represent the largest alkali reserve of the body, but they are also found in the teeth. .
Acidosis may also cause a lot of fatigue, because an acidic environment interferes with the production of energy from body cells. Acidosis also decreases the supply of oxygen available for cell function, affecting their regeneration and cause the growth of pathogenic microorganisms. Also, acidosis creates fertile ground for inflammation, which could lead to many health problems, such as
- Rheumatism, gout
- Sciatica, herniated disc
- Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
- dental caries
- Gum inflammation
- Mouth ulcers, herpes
- Cracks at the corners of the lips, eczema, skin problems
- varicose veins
- Colds, flu, sore throat
- Bronchitis, sinusitis, otitis
- Gastric acid reflux
- Heartburn, ulcer
- rectal burns
- Kidney and gallbladder stones
- Nervousness, restlessness, depression
- Constant fatigue (loss of energy after meals)
- Difficulty recovering after an effort
- Headache, migraine
Unfortunately, most foods we eat are either acidifying or incompatible, therefore enhancing fermentation or putrefaction, which is a source of acidification! Knowing the elements favoring the acid-base balance, the list of alkalizing and acidifying foods and alkalizing food supplements become an essential tool to address the chronic low-level acidosis.
Finally, restoring the acid-base balance of the body would increase energy and vitality.
It is important to understand that we are not talking about stomach acid or the pH of the stomach. We are talking about the pH of body’s fluids and tissues which is totally different.
The pH or “potential of hydrogen” is a unit of measure of the degree of acidity or alkalinity of a solution. It sets on a scale of 0 to 14.
PH 7 or “neutral pH” represents a balance between acid and alkaline substances.
A low pH of 7 to 0 indicates acidity,
A High pH of 7 to 14, indicates alkalinity
A slight change in pH corresponds to a strong modification of the hydrogen ion concentration, which is 10 times higher from one unit to another:
- pH 7 = neutral
- pH 6 = 10 times more acidic
- pH 5 = 10 x 10 = 100 times more acidic than the neutral
- pH 4 = 10 x 100 = 1,000 times more acidic than neutral.
If you’re healthy, having a healthy lifestyle and a healthy, balanced diet, your urine pH should be around 7.
It is recommended to check the pH 3 times daily before meals and morning the second urination, because the first urination is often acidic.
Test Your Body’s Acidity or Alkalinity with pH Strips:
It is recommended that you test your pH levels to determine if your body’s pH needs immediate attention. By using MEDINAT pH test strips, you can determine your pH factor quickly and easily in the privacy of your own home. If your urinary pH fluctuates between 6.0 to 6.5 in the morning and between 6.5 and 7.0 in the evening, your body is functioning within a healthy range. If your saliva stays between 6.5 and 7.5 all day, your body is functioning within a healthy range. The best time to test your pH is about one hour before a meal and two hours after a meal. Test your pH twice a week.
HOW TO GET A “GOOD” pH:
1) Regularly monitor your urinary pH with MEDINAT pH test strips
Price: 12,99 $
2) Correct your diet so that the amount of acidic and acidifying food is not superior to the alkaline food.
3) Practice physical activity regularly. The body gets rid of unwanted acids in two different ways: through the lungs and kidneys. Walking or exercise such as cycling, swimming (but not overuse) that activates the metabolism and accelerates the rate of respiration, increases the elimination of acids.
4) Drink quality water. 1.5 to 2.0 liters of water per day is recommended to stimulate the function of elimination of acid by the kidneys
5) Learn how to manage stress (outdoor recreation, massage, relaxation, meditation, etc. ..)
5) Take MEDINAT pH +, a concentrated liquid plant extract formula, containing horsetail, marshmallow and alfalfa. These three plants are highly alkaline.
Price: 39,95 $ • Quantity: 100 ml
7. Detoxify as needed: Take MEDINAT DEPURATIVE COMPLEX, a concentrated liquid plant extract formula, containing BLACK WALNUT, BURDOCK, DANDELION ROOT, CORNSILK, ELECAMPANE, BUCKTHORN and MILK THISTLE, which will help cleans the 5 emunctories (liver, kidneys, intestines, lungs and blood) along with a supplement of PSYLLIUM and plant extract such as MEDINAT Fibro +. to maintain regular bowel movements.
Price: 39,95 $ • Quantity: 100 ml
Price: 24,50 $ • Quantity: 100 tablets
Have questions? Feel free to contact us.
Our professional team is here to help
30 minutes of FREE CONSULTATION with certified naturopaths and herbalists:
1 877 304-0505